As part of the MCG’s 150th birthday celebration activities the ‘Peters Ice Cream MCG School Wall’ invited Grade five and six students from all Victorian primary schools to draw a picture to be used to help tile an internal wall of the Great Southern Stand at the MCG.
The sponsor, Peters Ice Cream, provided a total of $25,000 prize money for a number of best entries in metropolitan and regional areas. A major prize of $5000 was provided for the single best entry. The prize money is for spending on sporting or recreational equipment.
The winners are as follows:
Overall winner ($5000)
- Hurstbridge Primary School – Ben Keys - Northern Metropolitan Region
Other regional winners ($2500)
- Springvale West Primary School – Michael Le - Southern Metropolitan Region
- Corryong College – Kendall Heycox - Goulburn North Eastern Region
- Andersons Creek Primary School – Viana Stern - Eastern Metropolitan Region
- St Mary’s Primary School (Altona) – Fiona Mangion - Western Metropolitan
- Kangaroo Flat Primary School – Abby Davey - Loddon Campaspe Mallee Region
- Paynesville Primary School – Casey Demko - Gippsland Region
- Fyans Park Primary School – Todd Bennett - Barwon South Western Region
- Donald Primary School – Kalon Green - Central Highlands Wimmera Region
- Kate Palmer – MCG Trust
- Melinda Wood – Nestle Peters
- Jeff Arkinstall – MCG Tours manager
The unveiling of the Peter's Ice Cream MCG School Wall was held on November 22, 2004.Back to top
The entries represent students’ perspective and imagination of what the MCG means to them. This could have been anything from an event they have attended at the MCG, their favourite spot at the ground, or a special sporting/social moment in the venue’s long history.
The drawings, measuring 20cm x 20cm and submitted by schools on A4 sheets of paper, have been transposed to ceramic tiles for placement on the wall, which will be a permanent fixture on level B1 of the Great Southern Stand and each tile bears the name of the student and school.