Great Southern Stand upgrade a boost for footy fans
Sep 06, 2012
Footy fans attending the start of the 2012 AFL Finals Series at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on Friday night will be among the first to benefit from the completion of a $55 million refurbishment of amenities in the Great Southern Stand.
The Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) this week put the finishing touches on improvements to rooms, bars and entry gates that will significantly enhance the quality of the MCG experience for patrons.
The upgrade, funded by the Victorian Government ($30 million) and MCC ($25 million), commenced 12 months ago and involves changes across almost all levels of the Great Southern Stand, including:
• Revamped entry at gates 4, 5, 6 and 7, which afford a more inviting entry to the stadium and a smoother flow of pedestrian traffic.
• Additional food and beverage outlets, including food courts.
• A 500-seat dining room on Level 2 of the AFL Members Reserve.
• A Haydn Bunton Sports Bar and Barassi Café for AFL members on Level B1.
• Upgrades to existing Hassett, Ryder, Wills, Premiership Club and Miller rooms on Level 2.
• Refurbished concourse and public toilet facilities.
• Upgrades to kitchens, infrastructure services, audio-visual systems and signage.
Some of the above facilities have been in operation for much of the 2012 AFL season, while the new-look function rooms on Level 2, complete with large video screens and full-view of the arena, are set to make their debut at the Hawthorn-Collingwood match on Friday night.
“We are delighted that the refurbishment of the Great Southern Stand has been completed according to our schedule and budget,” said MCC CEO Stephen Gough.
“The feedback we have received already this season about some of the new facilities has been extremely encouraging.
“These are significant improvements to the quality of our patrons’ experience at the MCG and we look forward to witnessing the response from visitors during the football finals and beyond,” said Mr Gough.
The Minister for Sport and Recreation, Hugh Delahunty said the Victorian Government had delivered $30 million towards improvements to the Great Southern Stand.
“The MCG is undoubtedly one of the world’s finest sporting arenas, and at the heart of every good stadium is a focus on spectators,” Mr Delahunty said.
“This upgrade is about the continuous improvement of a wonderful sporting icon, while keeping the focus on the enjoyment and comfort of patrons,” he said.