Melbourne Cricket Ground - Live betting odds on MCG scoreboards to end
  • MCC Logo
  • NSM Logo

Live betting odds on MCG scoreboards to end

Aug 29, 2011

The vision board at the Punt Road end of the Melbourne Cricket GroundThe promotion of live odds gambling during AFL matches on the MCG scoreboards will be banned from next season, MCG Trust chairman John Wylie has confirmed.

Speaking in The Age, Wylie said the MCG had become increasingly concerned at what he called a sharp increase in advertising of gambling agents and products, especially up-to-date odds during matches.

In the MCG Trust Annual Report, Wylie writes: ''We see this as a poor development for the ground, for the sporting codes and for the community.''

Elaborating, Wylie said: ''We just think it's inconsistent with what football at the MCG should be all about, which is the football, as opposed to the promotion of gambling on matches during matches. Our policy as a trust is that we would like to see the promotion of live gambling odds at the ground finished.''

Betfair has a contract to show live odds on the scoreboard screen at the MCG before matches, and at each break. This deal expires at the end of the season, and Wylie said it would not be renewed at the MCG.

''We're not against gambling companies promoting their services in a general sense,'' Wylie said. ''It's just that specific element [live odds] is something we think is not healthy, and something we would like to see ended at the MCG.''

The new arrangements will bring football into line with cricket, which does not allow the promotion of live odds.

Read John Wylie's  chairman's message in the 2010/11 MCG Trust Annual Report. 

 

1 - 3 of 3 Comments

Posted by: Andrew Howard on 05/09/2011 09:02:22 PM

They already ended. At the Collingwood home game last week they chose not to put up the odds going into the last quarter...
Hang on, was that because Collingwood would have been $50 to win??

Posted by: Darby Higgs on 05/09/2011 09:06:48 PM

Congratulations for that. It is very heartening to see organisations acting in the broader public interest rather than rushing for the quick dollar.

Posted by: Rob on 06/09/2011 01:14:29 PM

Great development - any chance of doing away with the loud music during the breaks too? It's an unattractive cacophony!

Write a comment

Max characters 1000
Posting Policy: We welcome all input, but please use appropriate language and respect other people’s opinions at all times.

WITH Australia’s bowling attack baked like an overcooked Christmas roast, Steve Smith must be a conjurer, cajoler, motivator and a head scratcher.

Herald Sun

AUSTRALIA’s pace attack was pushed to breaking point after the scorching Brisbane heat triggered a bowling meltdown against India.

Herald Sun

DAVID Hayes was forced to bunker down for a second night as raging fires burned out of control near his Lindsay Park property at Euroa.

Herald Sun

SHANE Warne has slammed paceman Mitchell Starc as “soft” and lacking presence as the second Test got underway. He might have a point.

Herald Sun

INJURED Australian skipper Michael Clarke provided running analysis of the second Test at the Gabba on day one via Twitter.

Herald Sun