MCG iPhone App is here!
Jul 29, 2011
The Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) is unquestionably one of Australia’s greatest icons, sporting or otherwise. Every weekend thousands of fans make the trip to the ‘G to watch their team in action.
The MCG’s stadium manager, the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC), has created a mobile experience to compliment its world famous venue, culminating in the release of an iPhone app.
The application is available for download in the App Store now to iPhone 3G users and above, who have iOS 4.0.0 or above installed.
WHAT DOES THE MCG APP DO?
The MCG iPhone app has been built to enrich the total fan experience.
The application, developed by Next Digital, offers a range of handy features to enhance the experience at the stadium:
- View the location of food outlets, toilets, bars and merchandise stores.
- View the MCG seating map and receive directions to your seat.
- Public transport advice via Metlink.
- Live car parking capacity updates in Yarra Park on MCG match days.
- Latest news, MCG tweets, event calendar and match details.
- Ability to share this news content via Facebook and Twitter.
- Facebook integration – check into the venue, find your friends.
- Take photos and upload them directly to the MCG Facebook album – and tag your friends.
- Find out where your Facebook friends are inside the stadium.
MCC communications manager Shane Brown said early reviews of the iPhone app have been very favourable.
“We’ve been buoyed by the feedback we’ve received from fans about the app,” Brown said.
“The MCG welcomes almost four million visitors each year and we believe smart phone applications like this will improve our customer service and enable patrons to share their MCG experiences with the world.”
WHAT FANS ARE SAYING
“MCG has done a nice job with the new iPhone app for the MCG. Hook in footy fans.”
“Just downloaded the new #MCGApp on my iPhone. I'm impressed. It's free. Can't wait to check it out some more.” @StephJCrawf
“Just had a look at the new #MCGApp, works really well and easy to work, five-star app.”
“Love the seat search function. Very handy!”
While the application is available on iPhone, there are plans to roll it out on other platforms in future, including for Android and iPad.