Great Southern Stand – impact on patrons
Mar 27, 2012
There have been several changes to the Great Southern Stand since the end of the last AFL season that patrons will notice, and need to be aware of, when attending AFL matches at the MCG, starting with Richmond v Carlton on Thursday March 29.
A major refurbishment of the Great Southern Stand is in progress and will continue to evolve throughout the 2012 AFL season.
There are several new or relocated amenities that will be in use from Round 1:
- New Gate 5 and Gate 6 entries, providing more space, light and ease of movement for patrons.
- New public food court on Level B1 (near bays 9/10/11).
- The Haydn Bunton Sports Bar and Ron Barassi Café will offer enhanced food and beverage facilities for AFL members on Level B1.
- New toilets on Level B1 (near Bay 12) have replaced toilets previously located on Level 1.
- An AFL Dining Room, capable of seating 450 people, on Level 2 of the AFL Members Reserve.
- Refurbished Jack Ryder Room and Lindsay Hassett Room on Level 2.
There are also several areas that are a work in progress and patrons will notice parts of the Great Southern Stand boarded off from view on match days.
Patrons are advised that although Gate 4 (public entry) and Gate 7 (AFL members entry) are in refurbishment mode, both gates will be accessible on match days.
A temporary TAB outlet has been placed on Level B1 of the AFL Members Reserve (near Bay 20).
Finally, please note that several rooms on Level 2 are now closed until further notice for refurbishment. They are the Keith Miller Room, Tom Wills Room and Legends Room.
We appreciate your understanding and patience as we move towards a better stadium experience.
The MCG experience is about to get even better, with two refurbished facilities open in time for Round 1 of the AFL season.
The Terrace Café, located on Level 2 at the rear of the Members Dining Room, has been converted into a café/restaurant with a wide selection of wholesome fresh food, with wonderful views of the city.
On Level 1 of the Olympic Stand, the Paddock Café will provide cooked-to-order and fresh food and is sure to be popular with tour groups and match day patrons.
Crust Pizza at the 'G
It’s shaping up to be a great season for MCG fans as Crust Gourmet Pizza opens five new pizza bars, just in time for Round 1. Read more here