Update: March 5, 2012
The operational impact of the Great Southern Stand refurbishment on patrons visiting the MCG will take full effect this football season, as the major component of the works proceeds.
Building firm Construction Engineering has been on site since last year’s AFL Grand Final, with the majority of summer spent demolishing rooms and building new amenities. Some of these will be available for use by Round 1.
An AFL dining room is the marquee facility to come on stream. It replaces corporate suites and offices on the second level, offering the AFL a prime viewing spot to hold official match day functions.
A sports bar and new-look Barassi Café will be a feature of Level B1, while the Hassett Room and Ryder Room have been upgraded substantially and are back in business.
The most significant change for the majority of patrons, however, will be revamped gates 5 and 6 which afford a more inviting entry to the stadium and a smoother flow of pedestrian traffic.
With the above works almost complete, attention now turns to the Wills, Legends and Miller rooms on Level 2. All three rooms will be unavailable for a large part of the 2012 AFL season as they undergo extensive renovations.
Gate 4 (a public entrance) and Gate 7 in the AFL Members Reserve will also be affected by works during the football season.
They will, however, be in use on major match days and we will use this webpage (and Twitter and Facebook) to keep patrons abreast of developments during the season.
Update: October 9, 2011
On October 3, 2011 Construction Engineering (head contractor of the Great Southern Stand refurbishment) took possession of a number of spaces for the first phase of work which will continue until just prior to the 2012 AFL season:
- Eastern end of Changeroom No. 3
- Bunton Bar and Dining Room
- Barassi Bar
- One food and beverage outlet, public toilets
- Gate 6 and back to seating bowl
- One retail food and beverage outlet adjacent to seating bays M12, M13 and M14
- Gate 5 and back to seating bowl
- Former Melbourne Football Club offices
- Ryder Room and Hassett Room
- Site offices for head contractor and project manager (formerly AFL Victoria offices)
- Public toilets
- Concourse – at various periods throughout the summer period.
These are construction period arrangements and different hoarding plans will occur for international cricket match days and Twenty20 Big Bash League matches.
In March 2012, the major changes patrons will see include:
- Level B1: New Haydn Bunton Sports Bar (formerly Bunton Dining Room and Bar).
- Level B1: New Barassi Café (formerly Barassi Bar).
- Level 1: Refurbished Gates 5 and 6.
- Level 1: Refurbished retail food and beverage concession (opposite M12, M13, M14).
- Level 2: AFL Members Dining Room (formerly nine corporate suites and MFC offices).
- Level 2: Refurbished Ryder and Hassett Rooms.
- Level 4: Refurbished concourse and public toilets.
A further update will be provided in March 2012, when another set of areas will be taken off-line and refurbished.
Back to top