“A SUSTAINABLE, MULTI-USE YARRA PARK”
The cornerstone of the MCC’s Yarra Park Improvement Plan is a Master Plan with two major priorities:
• An underground water recycling plant to secure non-potable Class A water for Yarra Park and the MCG regardless of the drought situation.
• Significant improvements to the development, protection and maintenance of the parkland.
More specifically, the plan includes tree planting, mulching, tree protection works, upgraded pedestrian paths and grass resurfacing, playground improvements, additional park benches and tables, securing a non-potable water supply for use on the parkland and upgrading irrigation in Yarra Park.
The framework for the MCC’s Yarra Park Implementation Strategy, which will guide the future development, enhancement and operation of the park over the next 5-10 years and beyond, is as follows:
1. Protect, restore and enhance park health
• Invest $22 million over the next 3-4 years on water, tree, soil and grass improvements.
• Commit to increased annual expenditure to maintain and enhance park health.
• Enhance the visitor experience to the sports precinct.
- Provision of water.
- Improve tree health, soil and grass condition.
2. Improve community parkland
• Maintain Yarra Park as a community park.
• Enhance the amenity of the park.
• Invest the operating surplus from parking activities back into the park.
- Enhance the passive recreation experience.
- Improve park facilities for community interaction.
- Construct a low-impact water recycling plant.
3. Responsible, managed car parking
• Continue to provide controlled car parking for precinct events.
• Advocate alternative transport modes for patrons to the sports precinct.
- Improve controlled car parking and traffic management.
- Support alternative transport modes.
4. Effective governance arrangements
• Establish a governance framework to deliver the Yarra Park Improvement Plan in accordance with legislation.
• Engage stakeholders in open consultative processes.
- Comply with legislation.
- Foster strong stakeholder relationships.
- Rigorous contractor management.
Back to top